Sunday, July 9, 2017

Mistborn: The Hero of Ages

The first Mistborn trilogy comes to an end with The Hero of Ages. I did not expect it to end like it did -- or at least not at the beginning of the novel. But then it started to seem there simply was no way for the characters to stop the end of the world without a divine intervention. The ending was like a second genesis for the world. It reminded me of Battlestar Galactica's finale.

The previous novels had epigraphs from Rashek's journal before he became the Lord Ruler. The Hero of Ages instead has quotations from someone else's writing. Someone who seems pretty knowledgeable about the passing events. Someone who does not seem like Vin.

"I am, unfortunately, the Hero of Ages."

Thus the riddle whether Vin is the Hero of Ages or not gets its answer finally. She does have a role in the happenings, however. There was a nice twist to it. It was present throughout the whole trilogy though seeing it coming without the information provided in this novel was impossible.

There were other little twists and turns -- some which I saw coming -- but what I liked most about the novel was how Brandon Sanderson explained everything I had been wondering. Goodreads has a nice review that describes Sanderson as an author who leaves no plot holes. Indeed, the Mistborn is not Harry Potter where things introduced in earlier/later volumes are not present in the current one for some inexplicable reason.

The review also mentions how Sanderson's lexicon needs improvement. I am surprised I did not spot words such as tsunami or hat trick. I thought I was attentive for such things. But he definitely needs to drop the use of words that clearly do not belong in this particular fictional setting.

Maybe somewhat unexpectedly, though, the next volumes of the series take place in a modern setting. Evidently Sanderson's plan was to write a trilogy of trilogies, each set in a different era. (The final one will be a science fiction story.) The trilogy plan seems to have changed a bit, however, as there is now a fourth book on its way to the second set. I think I will wait until it is finished before continuing with the series.

Towards the end, Sanderson bit cheekily reveals there are 4 more Allomantic metals in addition to the already known ones. Which they are and what they do is of course not told. Something to look forward to, I guess.

Also, I found it really weird that the antagonistic entity, Ruin, that is freed at the end of the second book, feels a need to gloat about its plans and victory to Vin in this one. You would think that it would be beyond such things even if it is not omnipotent.

No comments:

Post a Comment