Friday, August 27, 2010

How I Rank Movies

If you are reading this, you might have noticed the list of the last five movies I've seen on the right. Each movie has one to five stars after it, which represents how good I think it was. I have a quite simple system determining the amount of stars any movie is worth, although I didn't know exactly how it worked before writing this post...

First star -- It's a movie

If it's a movie, it gets a star. No, this is not an achievement. The rest of the stars I go through in the given order below. If the movie fails to fill the requirements for a star, the rest are ignored.

Second star -- It has a budget

The actors know what they are doing, the camera work doesn't suck, the special effects don't make me laugh; generally, it doesn't look like shit amateur production.

Third star -- It's entertaining

If the movie has nothing that annoys me greatly, nor does it bore me, it gets the third star. Watching a three-star movie is already a time well spent.

Fourth star -- It has something awesome

Be it outstanding special effects, marvelous story-telling, stunning visual looks, brilliant score, and/or anything that makes me think "Whoah, that's cool!", I give the movie the fourth star.

Fifth star -- An all-time favorite

The fifth star I give only to the best of the best - everything has to click. Currently, there are only three movies to which I've given five stars: (in no particular order) Forrest Gump, Pulp Fiction, and V for Vendetta.

No comments:

Post a Comment